The Most Nutritional Road Trip Essentials
When the sweltering summer heat swirls in without hesitation, and the desire to hop into strappy tanks and linen shorts takes over, you know it’s road trip season. There’s nothing better than unplugging from technology, hopping into a loaded car, and blasting that random “barefoot in the park” Spotify playlist. However, when we’ve hit the pinnacle of vacation mode, it’s very tempting to throw all of our nutritional common sense out the window. Especially when there’s a McDonald’s or Burger King lining the streets every square mile or so. Take it from us, it’s best to prep ahead of time, so between the occasional fast-food stop or two, you can feel balanced and satisfied with nutritional goodies on hand!
If you’re planning a road trip anytime soon, here are the top nutritional essentials you should pop into your travel pack!
- Suja Immunity and Digestion Shot Pack: If you’re worried about catching the sniffles or stomach bug while on the road, this little shot trio is an absolute “must-bring” essential. You’ll get our Immunity Defense Shot, which is filled to the brim with live probiotics, ginger, turmeric, and echinacea — all working harmoniously together to fend off nasty colds. The Vitamin D & Zinc Shot also supports immunity and digestive health with reishi, live probiotics, ginger, turmeric, and acerola cherry. Last but not least is the Digestive Shot, loaded with 4000 mg of ginger and 700 mg of pure apple cider vinegar, allowing your gut to stay happy (even if you indulge in the occasional bag of salty potato chips on the road). Whatever types of foods you choose to consume, all three shots included in the Immune and Digestion Shot Pack will ensure you feel your healthiest, no matter what the circumstances are.“I love these daily shots. I rotate between the varieties every day, first thing in the morning. Great for digestion, and super anti-inflammatory. I’ve just received my second order, and will order again when my current supply runs out.” – Verified Buyer, Kate
- Suja Elements: Blueberry Ginger: It’s a given that to stay properly hydrated on the road, you should be drinking 11.5-15.5 cups of water per day. However, if you’re in the mood to mix it up with a little bit of bubbly, our Sparkling Blueberry Ginger beverage screams “summer refresher” and will put that extra pep in your step, combined with purified sparkling water, blueberry, apple, lemon, ginger, and acerola cherry. Plus you’ll reap the benefits of Reishi and Lion’s Mane functional mushrooms, supporting focus, energy, and balance.“I’m a big fan of ginger and was interested in trying a blueberry ginger combination. This sparkling juice did not disappoint! It has the right amount of fizz and packs just the right amount of sweetness. 10/10 recommend!” – Verified Buyer, Harry
- Suja Energy Shot: If you’re cruising through a rural area without direct access to a sugar-filled Starbucks, there’s no need to frown due to a caffeine dry spell. The Suja Energy Shot equipped with 100 mg of organic coffee and adaptogenic reishi is not only 100% travel friendly, but it’ll keep you concentrated on the road. You also won’t feel the dreaded caffeine crash after a cup of regular joe. “I had to give up coffee and tea for two weeks and these gave me the caffeine I needed to get my day started! Now I keep them around for an afternoon lift without the coffee jitters. They taste great too!” – Verified Buyer, Julie J
- Beef Jerky: Instead of chowing down on that Big Mac as a source of protein, why not choose a healthier alternative? Not only is beef jerky 100% shelf-stable, but it’s also excellent fuel while putting in long hours behind the wheel. We suggest pairing it with dried fruit and washing it down with that blueberry ginger sparkling beverage.
- Trail Mix: If you want to uplevel your protein consumption, assembling your DIY trail mix with an assortment of dried fruit, coconut chunks, granola bits, an array of nuts, and even dark chocolate nuggets can satiate your sweet and salty cravings! Depending on the ingredients you choose, this can be a nutrient-dense, fiber-rich snack that will keep you alert for hours on end.
- Brown rice cakes: If you think PB&J’s make the best lunch option, think again. Brown rice cakes are a good substitute for bread and make a wonderful low-carb foundation for any type of creamy nut butter. Pick up some single-serving organic nut butter to spread evenly onto your rice cake and even consider sprinkling with fresh berries and shredded coconut for a tropical spin.
- Edamame: Did you know that edamame contains 18g of protein in one cup? This crunchy delight is also packed with high amounts of fiber and vitamins, specifically vitamin K and folate. So if you have the urge to kickstart a mindless snacking episode, edamame is the healthiest option for you. If you’re on a shorter road trip, consider microwaving, throwing it into a little bag, and sprinkling a bit of sea salt and smoked paprika on top!
- Carrots & Hummus: Depending on the hummus you choose and the ingredients, this velvety smooth Mediterranean spread is usually packed with anti-inflammatory superfoods, considering the addition of tangy lemon, garlic, salt, olive oil, and tahini. We also can’t forget about chickpeas, which contain a healthy dose of prebiotics, keeping your gut in check! This super healthy snack pairs best with any type of veggie stick, especially fiber-rich carrots.
Before you hit the road, stop to think about your nutritional choices, so you don’t land yourself in the monstrous junk food vacuum! Be sure to pick up our favorite Suja road trip essentials so you can travel with ease and prioritize your overall health while on the road. Cheers!
Sources and links:
Four Sigmatic Coffee: https://us.foursigmatic.com/products/mushroom-coffee-with-lions-mane-chaga