· By Suja Juice
Probiotics for Your Digestive System: We Love Your Guts and You Should Too!
Living inside each of our digestive tracts are about 100 trillion different types of bacteria. In fact, about 7 pounds of our physical bodies are made up of bacteria that lives inside of our intestines. Our digestive system is full of bacteria (both good and bad) and that’s where probiotics come into play! What are probiotics? Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that live in your digestive tract. They help your body maintain a balance between good and bad bacteria. Probiotics help aid in the digestion and absorption of vital nutrients and enzymes to help your body run smoothly! They protect against harmful compounds, allow your body to use protein more efficiently, and protect and support your immune system. Probiotics are measured in CFUs (Colony Forming Units), which measure the good, viable bacteria inside that are capable of living and reproducing. There are a ton of different species of probiotics, but typically 500 Million to 2 Billion is a good daily range to look for if you want immunity and digestive support. That might sound like a lot, but these guys travel in large quantities! Suja products containing probiotics, feature the GanedenBC30 strain which is a resilient, FDA-GRAS probiotic. What is the immune system/digestive system connection? A contributing factor to the strength of your immune system is the delicate balance of “good” and “bad” bacteria in your digestive system. Probiotics have been shown to help support this balance and help enhance your body’s natural defenses. Why does my digestive system need probiotics? Many factors (ex. poor diet, travel, stress, antibiotics, illness, age, and hormonal changes) can disturb your intestinal balance and decrease the level of beneficial bacteria. Taking a probiotic daily can restore healthy bacteria levels. After all that, here’s an easy guide to understanding probiotics for your digestive system!
- When you consume Suja products that contain probiotics, you’re adding more good bacteria to help aid in the fight for good digestion. Try our new Ginger Wellness Shot!
- While many probiotic strains can’t survive in foods and beverages, the strain Suja uses (GanedenBC30) has natural protection that allows it to sleep through the transit to your gut, where it wakes up and gets to work fighting the bad guys!
- Once it’s awake, your gut naturally provides the probiotics with the right temperature, amount of food and moisture to multiply into even more good bacteria.
- What happens next? The army of good bacteria, led by our probiotics, helps fight the bad bacteria in your gut!
- Consuming foods and beverages daily that include probiotics help support your digestive and immune health.