· By Annie Lawless
Workout Smoothie Recipe
This is the perfect smoothie to enjoy after a long, hard workout! Ingredients:
- 8oz Suja Organic Fuel
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1tsp spirulina
- 1T soaked chia seeds
- 1 scoop sprouted vanilla brown rice, pea, hemp, goat, or whey protein
- 1tsp camu camu
- 1tsp maca
- Add all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until everything is pulverized and smooth.
- Add ice to desired consistency and enjoy!
- Suja Organic Fuel - A great source of potassium, a key electrolyte that helps restore hydration levels. Also contains turmeric which aids with inflammation from tearing the muscle fibers during a workout.
- Banana - High in complex carbohydrates to help replenish glycogen stores in the muscles after a workout. Also helps make the smoothie luxurious and creamy!
- Spirulina - This green powder is 60% protein and its full amino acid profile can help build muscle. It can also oxygenate the muscles which may reduce soreness.
- Chia Seeds - These little guys boast protein, inflammation fighting omega-3 fats, and can help rehydrate muscles because they carry liquid when soaked.
- Sprouted vanilla brown rice, pea, hemp, goat, or whey protein - This helps the muscle fibers repair post workout and build.
- Camu Camu - This highest plant kingdom source of Vitamin C can help boost immunity which is compromised immediately following a workout and may also support the adrenals.
- Maca - Exercise is a stress on the body so this natural adaptogen helps the body adjust. Maca is also a natural hormone balancer.
- Bennett, Paul. "Hydration and Electrolytes - Impact on Athletic Performance." Hydration and Electrolytes: Impact On Athletic Performance by Paul B. Bennett on 1Vigor. Vigor Inct, 2 May 2012. Web. 2 Sept. 2015. http://www.1vigor.com/article/electrolytes-hydration-athletic-performance
- "Carbohydrates and the Glycaemic Index - Better Health Channel." Better Health Channel. Government of Victoria, 2 July 2013. Web. https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/carbohydrates-and-the-glycaemic-index
- "Spirulina Nutrition & Health Benefits - Is It Worth The Cost? - Incredible Smoothies." Incredible Smoothies. Incredible Smoothies INC., 9 Sept. 2011. Web. https://davyandtracy.com/green-smoothies/spirulina/
- Ware, M. (2015, March 26). What are the health benefits of chia seeds? Retrieved from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/291334.php
- Mercola, Dr. "Whey Protein Helps in Muscle Building." Mercola.com. Dr. Joseph Mercola, 20 July 2012. Web. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/07/20/whey-protein-on-resistance-exercise.aspx
- "CAMU CAMU (Myrciaria Dubia) the Little Treasure from Amazonian Rainforest." Sclerologist. SCLEROLOGIST.COM ALL RIGHTS RESERVED., 19 Apr. 2014. Web. http://sclerologist.com/blog/216/camu-camu
- "Maca: the perfect food for balancing our hormones" (2014). Retrieved from https://www.naturalnews.com/047676_maca_hormone_balancing_endocrine_system.html