· By Sam Swensen
Avocado Toast 4 Ways
It's hard to fit all the reasons why I love avocado toast into one blog. It takes almost no time to whip up, it's shockingly delicious and there are seriously endless ways to make it, like in this mango avocado green smoothie. You can have it for breakfast, lunch or even dessert depending on how you dress it up. We made avocado toast 4 ways below using gluten-free bread, but you’re welcome to make this on whatever you’d like. I've had it on multigrain toast, whole wheat toast and sourdough and all were delish. If you follow the Paleo diet and have a little extra time on your hands , there's a great Paleo diet friendly recipe for gluten-free that's full of high protein ingredients here. Now that we've got the bread thing covered, let's talk AVOCADOS! Avocados are one of my all-time favorite foods. One avocado provides your body with vitamins A, C, E, K and B6, and more potassium than a banana. They're also high in fiber and healthy monounsaturated fats. (1) I find that when I work an avocado into my breakfast, I snack less throughout the day. It's a miracle worker. If you haven't tried avocado toast yet, now is the time! I promise you'll be shocked at how versatile and delicious something so simple can be. Here are some basic instructions for making avocado toast 4 ways as well as a list of some of our favorite toppings pictured on the right:
- 1/2 avocado, pit removed and flesh scooped from the skin
- 1/2 lemon or lime, squeezed
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 slice of bread (whatever you want), lightly toasted
- Add avocado to a small bowl with lime/lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Coarsely mash, then spread over toasted bread.
- Sprinkle with a little extra black pepper
- Add toppings!
- On toast #1, we added spicy radish sprouts
- On toast #2, we added a handful of blueberries and honey (this one is sweet and perfect for breakfast or dessert)
- On toast #3, we added orange bell pepper slices and red pepper flakes for a little spice
- On toast #3, we added one over-easy egg and some sriracha (hands down the office favorite!)