· By Suja Juice
Mango Avocado Green Smoothie
The reason I drink this mango avocado green smoothie religiously is that it makes my skin glow! The healthy fats from the coconut and avocado nourish the skin and help the body absorb the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients from the greens and fruit. (1) Spinach and kale bring a nice dose of magnesium, Vitamin A, and iron while mango and banana provide potassium, Vitamin C, and fiber. (1) Spirulina takes the nutrition up a notch with its rich amino acid profile and oxygenating chlorophyll. (2) Maca is a Peruvian root that supports hormone health and physical endurance, great for active individuals. (3) You can customize this smoothie by switching up the fruit (pineapple would be great!) and greens (chard and collards are great options) and adding other concentrated green powders like wheat Thigrass or barley grass. Ingredients:
- 1 cup mango
- 1 tsp Maca
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 3 leaves kale (Destemmed)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tsp spirulina
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- Ice to desired consistency (I like mine more thick)
- Put all ingredients in a high speed blender (I love a Vitamix!) and blend until everything is pulverized and smooth.
- Add ice to desired consistency and enjoy!
- Feel free to top with shredded coconut, banana slices, flax seed, or chopped macadamia nuts.
- Wien, M., Haddad, E., Oda, K., & Sabaté, J. (2013). A randomized 3x3 crossover study to evaluate the effect of Hass avocado intake on post-ingestive satiety, glucose and insulin levels, and subsequent energy intake in overweight adults. Nutrition Journal Nutr J, 155-155.
- "Ignored Since the 1950s - Is Spirulina Now a 'Miracle' High-Protein Super Food?" Mercoal.com. Dr Joseph Mercola, 11 June 2011. Web. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/01/spirulina-the-amazing-super-food-youve-never-heard-of.aspx
- MACA - Ancient Peruvian Superfood! (2013). Retrieved from http://www.envirohealthtech.com/maca.htm