· By Suja Juice
On Another Level Cinnamon Sugar Kale Chips
My favorite sweetener in the whole wide world is coconut palm sugar! I usually avoid consuming most added sugars because I am ultra sensitive to sugar highs and lows, but coconut sugar does not give me any of those issues. Additionally, it has a wonderful brown sugar molasses-y flavor that is to live for! Why are these chips on another level? Because they will keep you blood sugar levels stable (in addition to low glycemic coconut sugar, the other start ingredient cinnamon has blood sugar regulating properties!), while satisfying your sweet tooth and providing a delicious way to get your greens. (1) And we all know how important it is to get your greens, especially kale. Coconut sugar also contains potassium, magnesium, zinc and iron and is a natural source of the B Vitamins. (2) To that I say, gimme some suga! Ingredients:
- 1 head of kale (curly or dinosaur, whatever you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the kale and tear into pieces.
- Combine the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Pour over the kale and massage into the leaves with your hands, making sure to evenly coat every piece.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking regular to prevent burning. It may be necessary to flip them halfway through to allow some of the wetter pieces underneath to crisp up.
- Cool and enjoy!
- Ji, S. (2013, June). Crouching Garnish, Hidden Superfood: The Secret Life of Kale. Retrieved May 2015, from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/06/kale-benefits.aspx
- Coconut Palm Sugar And Blood Sugars. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://theorganicdiabetic.org/2016/03/coconut-palm-sugar-and-blood-sugars/